Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2012

Eco Friendly Cat Litter

The original Pack

Close Up

Today marks exactly 1 month since we started using a "Eco Friendly" wood chips cat litter. Price wise it's really affordable. I mean for a multi-cat household, this cat litter is not really a good option but for single and 3 cats below household ,it will work well. Besides, the litter is toilet flushable (as what the manufacturer claims).

Oprah,Dewey and Daisy (we call them ODD Clan in short) loved it, but at times the wood chips with the sharp edges get stuck between their paws. I was worried if they pierce into their flesh so I changed theirs to Oko Plus while the bigger ones are on wood based litter. As rest of the clan, they didn't really mind the change of litter, all they need is a place where they can do their "business" and be able to "cover it up" but at times, I do notice they don't use it after 3rd or 4th day even I scooped their waste. Incase if the litter tray is a little dirty or full of overdone business, they wait till I clean them..How nice!

So if you ask me if I would convert my household to Magic Litter since its Eco Friendly? Well, not really if the litter emanates terrible smell after 3rd day and it collects the urine at the bottom of the tray. I was then advised by the "manufacturer" to layer the bottom tray with litter so it can absorb the urine. But doing that means the wood-chips cant be flushed in the toilet.

Here's my experience with Eco Friendly Magic Litter
  • Affordable
  • Lighter weight (I buy in bulks so I could easily carry 10 or more bags at one go without feeling like I'm carrying a mountain :P)
  • Easily available
  • Eco friendly ofcourse (Btw they are from the recycled wood)
The downside or the improvement I would like to see is
  • Make it more at reasonable price as it is now.
  • Make the chips a bit more finer or shaved so it doesn't have sharper edges which can be dangerous to small kittens paws or even adults.
  • Toilet flushable? (I need to question this. My toilet got clogged for a few times. I was advised it has to be done gradually (ie: throw little by little into the toilet)  My thought, woodchips are solid and doesn't disintegrate in the water but can be carried away with the water pressure. So, the chances are high to get your toilet clogged even if it was done gradually. Am I right to say that?
  • The Probiotic infused in the chiplets gives out kind of fermented smell after 3 days even the waste is scooped out. Don't know how to combat that if that were to be improved.
  • The chiplets are slightly bigger which when I scoop even the clean chips gets stuck with the waste, so we are loosing the good ones there. Perhaps it can be slighly smaller so its easier to scoop.
  • Doesn't really absorb the urine well, unless I use clay litter as the base at the bottom of the tray but when I wanted to flush, I had to wash them to separate the clay before flushing it.Time consuming.
  • Works well with hooded litter box but for a tray, sometimes it can be easily tipped over with the contents strewn everywhere, as I mentioned above, the chiplets are really light weight unlike the litter sand.
  • A bag maybe be cheaper than other Eco friendly litter products out there in the market, but in the long run, it comes to the same amount that I would be spending on it. 
I was told the litter last for 2 weeks, but in my own experience I have to change the entire litter every 5 days once (and I have 8 litter trays for my brood at home)

So, if you are an owner of cat(s) and looking to buy an Eco Friendly wood based cat litter, that is toilet flushable? (I doubt it's toilet flushable although the company claims it is), check out Magic Litter. When I bought it a month ago it was priced at RM16.90/bag but the price have gone down RM2/bag in such short period?. Best is give a call, or get yourself a bag and give it a try. Nothing to loose.

As for my household, I'm really happy with Oko Plus, which is again toilet flushable without a question and Eco Friendly :)

No comments: